Sunday, July 24, 2011

Citizens for Peace Third Annual Veggie Potluck

The Citizens for Peace will hold their third annual Veggie Potluck at their August 9th meeting at 6:30pm at Unity of Livonia. The meeting is open to the public. Attendees are encouraged to bring a vegetarian dish to share or a donation of $5.00. After sharing dinner, the short film, “A Life Connected”, by Nonviolence United, will be shown and discussed. One of the messages in the film is that we have the ability to “feed ourselves and every hungry person on the planet” by using one powerful tool: our fork. Find out how our food choices affect everyone around the world, including the 40,000 people who starve to death daily. Join the discussion on how to expand our circle of compassion, live our values, and change the world. For more information call Colleen at 734-425-0079.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Kiaora Colleen,

My name is Jo and I am Māori from Aotearoa NZ and part of me is from a small settlement on the West Coast of the North Island NZ called Parihaka. It sits below our majestic mountain Taranaki.

I came across the Body, Mind Spirit Radio and it just so happens that your interview was playing at the time. Your words of peace, citizens of peace and promotion of non-violence caught my attention because my people from Parihaka have a legacy of passive resistance for over 150 years.

I am not sure if you have heard of Parihaka but I will leave the website link here for you to go and visit. Perhaps you may want to add it to your library. There is also a wonderful book that tells the story of my people called The Art of Passive Resistance http://parihaka.com/About.aspx It is not a happy story but is hopeful and inspiring and our people today have the strength to continue in non-violence despite out history.

I'm glad I stopped by to listen just so I could share this with you. Also the Parihaka Peace Festival happens at Parihaka too - I am not sure when the next one will be, they are restructuring at the moment but if you get on their list, you will be able to stay in touch with that.

Noho ora mai, (be well)
Jo : )

colleen mills said...

Hi Jo,
Thanks for listening and commenting on our blog. We will add the book to our nonviolent bibliography of over 600 titles!
I read the story of Prihaka. It reminds me of what happened to our Native Americans. What a tragedy!
Tell be about the Parihaka International Peace Festival.
Maybe we'll come to the 2012 Festival and meet you in person!
Peace,
Colleen